Marguerite Zorach was a pioneer American Modernist and was one of the first artists to introduce Fauvism and Cubism to America (1910-20). She studied briefly at Stanford (1908) before moving to Paris to study at Grande Chaumiere (1908) and La Palette (1908-11). After her study abroad Zorach returned to her Fresno home and produced Fauvist landscapes in bright orange, crimson and purple with thick black outlines. In 1912 Zorach married and moved to Greenwich Village. She continued to paint in the Fauvist style in 1915 when she incorporated a Cubist structure into her landscapes.
After Zorach gave birth to her two children, she shifted her artistic focus to embroidery of stylized Arcadian scenes. The large tapestries were produced after 1920. In the 1930s, Zorach created two large murals for the WPA depicting farm hands picking grapes. However, the officials rejected her work in favor of something more traditional. Only a small group of her paintings remain after she moved from CA. After her death they were restored and exhibited.